Thursday, February 7, 2013

Trail Running, Oh How I've Missed Moo!

One of the highlights of getting back out onto the trails is seeing the cows.  I rarely saw a real, live cow while living in New York, but here in California they roam the regional parks as freely as rats do in the subways of Manhattan.  Oftentimes, I have to stop and wait for cows to move off of the trail ahead of me; it makes me smile every time.  I especially enjoy seeing the young, downy calves with their inquisitive eyes.  The adult cows avoid humans, as most of them have been branded and know our evil ways too well, but their babies show a sense of wonder and amusement towards us crazy, path-following bipeds.

This past weekend was the highest mileage weekend that I have pulled off this year so far.  Prior weekends have resulted in various muscle strains and joint issues due to my body adjustment back to the running regime.  But this weekend, I ran 16 miles in Del Valle and then another 12 miles around Brushy Peak.  While these trails did not contain any huge mountains, I at least pulled several thousand feet of climbing without my body yelling at me and enjoyed seeing hundreds of cows while doing so...  Success! :)

Hungary baby.

The black stallion down the street that we call "Clue Horse".



Showing up uninvited to another cow party.

Hello, again, Brushy Peak!

Naptime.

Lunchtime.

Okay, I'll look cute and pose for you...





No comments:

Post a Comment