Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Big Wake-Up Call

Today the training plan said to run 20 miles, ideally along the same terrain as the 50k race itself.  So, what better place to run than 20 miles along the Ohlone Wildnerness trail?  This way, we could get a feel for the course and know what to expect.

To do this point-to-point run, we had to drop a car off at our end point in Del Valle.  Burnout Bear pulled up to the park entrance booth and asked about the best place to park to catch the Ohlone trail.  Of course, Burnout Bear continued to explain that we were running from Sunol to Del Valle and that we had to park one car there, but would drive the other one out of the park afterward.  The man in the booth looked at Burnout Bear and sincerely said "You are a mad man."  You know that you are in trouble when the guy working the park entrance tells you this.

We then drove to Sunol and I asked the man in the park entrance booth there if we could park the car overnight.  "No.  Not unless you are backpacking."  He could clearly see that we had no packs with us, so I had to explain that we were running, yes running, to Del Valle.  His eyebrows raised and he replied, "Hmm.  That's quite a ways."  But he did give us the parking pass and helped us out - whew!

And the running began.  Or, I should say the slow climbing.  Ten miles all the way to Rose Peak.  I had a feeling that today's run was going to be a challenge, but it completely exceeded my idea of hard it would be.  I had hiked to Rose Peak last May to volunteer at the Ohlone race, but trying to run as much as possible is an entirely different experience.  Plus, without aid stations, once you get to Rose Peak you have to filter or treat the water in order to drink it.  So, we carried a water filter with us the entire way.  I was out of water about a mile before Rose Peak, and I was glad to find that the water out of the pump was cold and refreshing.  Unfortunately, though, my knees were already cranky from the miles of continuous climbing... not good.  I also checked my nutrition rations and was surprised to find that I was much lower on fuel than I should be... double not good.

We then found out that the trail does not head downhill directly after Rose Peak, but continues to roll up and down and taunt you for a few miles.  And then the downhill starts.  Steeply.  And keeps going... and going... and then you just want the downhill to stop.  It was so steep with lots of rolling rocks that I couldn't figure out how to take advantage of it and hold onto a good clip.  My knees hurt worse and I ran out of fuel - with 6 miles left to go.  The remainder of the run is a blur of trying to keep my legs moving, avoiding miniature rock slides, and a bit of cussing - especially at the BRUTAL hill at mile 16.

And the most humbling fact of the day: there are over 11 miles remaining to complete the Ohlone 50k.  Including Mission Peak!  Gulp.

I learned a lot of lessons during this training run and thought them over as I hobbled to the car in Del Valle, my stomach rumbling:

1. Carry more fuel!  (1 Gu and 8 Hammer Perpetuem Solids does not get you from Sunol to Del Valle!)
2. Bring more water than you think you will need.  (Time to step up my hydration system.  Sorry faithful Fuelbelt!)
3. Treat your knees with care.  Lots of ice, stretching, and knee strengthening exercises.

It looks like I have a LOT of work ahead of me after today's tough run...  Even after over 5k feet of uphill climb.  It's too early to become discouraged, right?  Chin up, turtle!


One of the many climbs up to Rose Peak.

Don't be fooled by the sign - Del Valle is still 16 miles away.



Goat Rock.

Moo.

One of the many vistas on the way up to Rose Peak.

Eerie tree.



Filtering water at Maggie's Half Acre.

Aaah.  A lush, green valley.

Go Burnout Bear!


Insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment