Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Challenge of "Easy" Weekends

When we first selected our 50k training plan a few weeks ago, I pointed out the weekends with 26 miles or more and bit my lip.  I was (and still am) scared that my knees wouldn't hold up or that I would face other, new injuries such as shin splints.  I had no idea that one of the toughest challenges during training is respecting and sticking to the easier weekends with decreased mileage!

This weekend, winter has finally arrived and we experienced damp, chilly runs.  So, it was a good thing that this was our first weekend of decreased mileage: 8 miles on Saturday and only 4 (!) miles on Sunday.  We stuck to the plan, but it was tough to listen and not sneak in more miles - even with the rainy weather.  I must truly have the trail running bug now because I felt antsy and anxious that I was not piling on the miles during free weekend time.  So, I kept myself busy catching up on errands and chores in preparation for the busier weekends containing more mileage.
 
Both runs were on dull pavement instead of scenic trails, unfortunately, so I didn't bring my camera.  We did get to run with our running group, the Mission Peak Striders, on Saturday, however, and had a great time catching up with everyone and chatting over coffee after the run.  We discussed hydration systems with another member, which got us seriously thinking about what we should use for the 50k since we should also use it in training... but we haven't arrived at any decisions quite yet...  that research is for a future blog.  :)

Happy running!

1 comment:

  1. It is good to hear that you are being smart about the whole thing. You couldn't do it without being addicted to miles, I think, but sometimes your body just needs the break. Good job on resisting the urge :-)

    ReplyDelete