Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Favorite Workout: Hills!

Or, at least, that's what I tell myself before I head out to pound some inclines...
Seriously, though, I really do enjoy running hills and have been running as many as possible since I have moved to California.  It seems as if the ground is coming up to meet each step, resulting in a "softer" run that directly tests your heart strength.  But hill running takes time and patience... The first time my husband and I attempted to hike Mission Peak, we failed half way up to the top.  I complained the entire hike about how steep it was because a friend had actually recommended the hike and neglected to point out that it was a 2k ft climb in 3 miles.  At the time, a runner zoomed past us going up, and we looked at each other and laughed, remarking how that was impossible.  Now, we can actually run (or in my case, jog) to the peak ourselves and are amazed at how fast one's ability can change after just one year of trail running!

Hills are a crucial part of my training as a trail runner, and each week we run a 6.5 mile loop which contains 5 steep hill "sprints".  (My husband sprints the hills, but I still have to jog them and tell myself "no walking!")  Below is a picture of the elevation from good ol' Garmin.  Hopefully, this workout starts feeling easier after a couple of months!  I have a long way to go before conquering 50k worth of steeper, longer hills (i.e. Ohlone)!  Go turtle go!


1 comment:

  1. How do you handle all those downhills when the ground does not come up to meet your foot, but instead falls away from each foot fall?

    ReplyDelete